Living life one experience at a time

Living life one experience at a time

Wednesday 7 May 2014

On Wednesdays We Wear Pink - Gretchen Wieners' Make Up From Mean Girls

Hello everyone! Hope you're all just dandy.

So, last Wednesday it was the 10th anniversary of one of my favourite films - Mean Girls, so I though it would be fun to create some looks inspired by the 4 lead roles - Gretchen Weiners, Karen Smith, Cady Heron and Regina George. The good thing about this film is that the make-up is all very wearable (perhaps not Cady's Halloween look...) so it's great if you want something different for your daily make-up.

This week I've created a look inspired by Gretchen in the scene where she gives her speech about Brutus and Caesar (WE SHOULD TOTALLY JUST STAB CAESAR!!!). The scene is pretty funny and very truthful about what goes on among girls in school (well, women in general, really). Hoop earrings are MY thing, actually. Gretchen's make-up is very smokey in this scene, and could be worn for day or night, so it's a really lovely versatile look.


Here's what I came up with:


I used one of my cheap and cheerful MUA palettes, but I'll just talk you through colours so that you can recreate the look using whatever brands you have.

So I went for a pure white shadow which I applied to the entire lid and brow bone. This is a subtle highlight for me as I have very pale skin, however if you skin tone is darker, you'll want to use something that matches, as Gretchen's highlight is very similar to her skin tone.

I went in with a medium grey matte shadow and applied this to the entire lid.

Next, I did some shading with a black eye shadow. Do use black shadows sparingly, especially if you're going for a grey tone rather than a black tone. I applied a little to the inner third and outer third of the lid, leaving the middle third clear. As you can see, Gretchen's eyeshadow blends from dark to light to dark again. You almost use the black shadow as a contour for your eyes.

I then applied a a slightly sparkly silver shadow (Alliteration, get me!) to that middle third that I left when applying the black shadow. This is to create that colour gradient. 

The next step is kind of subjective because it hasn't actually translated to the photo, unfortunately. I basically started mixing a tiny bit of purple with the silver and lightly tapping this over the middle third. I think there's a slight hue of purple in Gretchen's eyeshadow to further bring out the colour of her top, but you may prefer to leave this step out.

I finally lined my lash line with a black liquid eyeliner and my tight and water lines with a black Kohl pencil. I then added mascara and the eyes were done.

For the face, I used my usual foundation, so whatever you normally wear is perfectly fine, as long as it correctly matches your skin tone of course... Gretchen has quite a glowy and bronzed complexion throughout the film, so I applied some bronzer to my temples, the hollows of my cheeks and under my jaw. I never normally use bronzer so I did this sparingly as I didn't want to look orange and patchy, but again, use as much or as little as you like. I then applied a dusky pink blush across my cheek. I swept it right down my cheek up to the end of the bronzed contour.

Finally I applied a rosey/brown lipgloss and I was finished!

A really simple but pretty look that could be worn during the day, or for a night out.

That is SO fetch!

SOTD - Operate by Peaches (I'll be using songs from the movie's soundtrack on these posts)

IOTD - Lacey Chabert who plays Gretchen


None for Gretchen Weiners, BYE.


No comments:

Post a Comment